Saturday, March 21, 2009

Spring

As I've gotten older and experienced more winters in this dark/no-sun corner of the state, I've seen a pattern in my life and how I spend my time. When winter starts to set in and it gets darker sooner, I find that I have a harder time motivating myself to do indoor projects like cleaning, reorganizing, etc. All I want to do when I get home is read, veg-out, chat on the computer, and the list goes on. I HATE it because I feel like the world's laziest person ever but I can't seem to motivate myself enough to get up and do something about it. Then on Saturday or Sunday, I'm rushing around trying to clean the whole house. The older I've gotten, the worse it's become. And this winter has not been an exception. :(
But now "spring" is here, even though it is only 30-40 degrees. The sun is out longer, because of the time change, and when I get home late from work I'm not so tired (mainly b/c it is still sunny when I get home).
There seems to be a family predisposition to light sensitivity on my dad's side of the family. Basically what that means is that lack of sun and exposure to sun can lead to one being depressed or sluggish. I love the winter b/c with it brings birthdays, Christmas, New Years, and Nerdfest. But once February 1 hits, I'm ready for it to be over. I hate the dark and I feel sluggish and not myself.
Being in Florida last week was a welcome break. It was sunny and 82 degrees the whole time we were there. It was wonderful! It felt like summer and all the radio stations were playing "summer-ish" songs (upbeat songs that you can dance to and get you out of bed in the morning like Kanye West, Beyonce, Britney Spears) all the time.
Then we get back here and it's just pah... :(
But Florida helped me bounce back so I'm going to try to take some of this energy I've collected and use it to overhaul the upstairs. I know I've said that many times but I'm really going to do it today and no one can stop me. :)
I'm going to leave you with one of those Florida overplayed "summer songs". I'm sure by the end of this year the song will drive me nuts b/c all the dj's in this area will have overplayed it. But for now, I LOVE it. :)


No comments: