Sunday, December 21, 2008

Not enough time

How do you squish and catch up on almost 2 years of life in just a few days? You can't. I love this Christmas surprise but it also bums me out.

What was once a friendship where almost every weekend and sometimes an occasional weekday was spent together...
Then became a move further away in the same state I live and an occasional weekend and/or weekday spent together...
Turned into a 1 1/2 year move almost 5000 miles away...
Gone were the weekends and weekdays together... And THEN...
He came back. :)

So now my husband, our friends, and I only have a few days together with this person. After all, this person has a life outside of our circle and other friends and family who've missed him to. I don't want to be a monopolizer of his time. He does not owe me or our friends any extra time together. I am not this person's spouse, girlfriend, sister, or parent; just their friend. I don't want to make him feel like he has to spend all his time with us, but it really doesn't feel like enough time.

If I was going to be selfish, than my Christmas wish would be that we get to spend lots of time together and that he wouldn't get back on that plane in 3 weeks. But if I wished that to happen, then I wouldn't really be his friend.

Instead...

I wish for him:
to have a good, memorable Christmas vacation
find happiness and contentment in his life
find a job he likes
and someday find the woman that he loves and respects and who loves and respects him back

It would be awesome (for us) if he could have all these things happen without leaving the country. But if he must leave in a few weeks, then I hope he finds what he's looking for and will be back to see us soon.

Not a lot of time left and I'll try to make the best of it and not monopolize his time.

So those are my thoughts?

Those and... that "It's Cold Outside"


No comments: